Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Welcome...

As the departure date grows ever nearer for my adventures abroad I wanted to get this blog up and running.

In about two weeks I will be going to the UK for a month to participate in USM's British Studies Program to explore British libraries, museums and archives and earn the remaining six credits to complete my Master's in Library Science!

This will be the spot to catch my daily updates on what I'll be seeing and experiencing.

For now, I would like to share some musings regarding a couple of my favorite books that I've processed at work this week:

Bear Hunting for Kids

Bear Hunting: For Kids
by Matt Chandler 

Clearly this book is a guide for what could only be considered a constructive and perfectly appropriate hobby for children. Kids love teddy bears; why not grab your rifle and set out after the real deal? I may have to have a chat with my parents to discuss what I now can only see as a limited childhood, as I was never given the opportunity for bear hunting.



 ...If the kiddie stuff isn't your style and you want to bag a more passionate, adult bear...




Beast Behaving Badly
by Shelly Laurenston

The leading man in this novel, Bo Novikov, is 'half polar bear, half lion, pure alpha male...' and based on the cover art he looks remarkably human. I have a hunch he'd make an excellent hockey player what with his comfort with cold weather, and with his 'seven-plus' foot height as reported on the back cover, he'd be quite an enforcer. I'm not real clear on how the math and biology work out to be half polar bear, half lion and also all man, but I'm sure this is a fascinating read incorporating evolutionary genetics and animal behavior studies. Now, there are some negative reviews of this book, as apparently the inter-species mating rituals are not well documented. 'cmoonlight' on Amazon.com said:  "Blayne kept Bo in the "friend zone" WAY TOO LONG! It was almost like she didn't have any romantic thoughts about him one minute, then she is all over him the next... he didn't really act like he WANTED her until later in the book." Well, there you have it.




If you would like to check out the aforementioned titles, head to your local library!

No comments:

Post a Comment